Saturday, February 25, 2017
The Monkees - Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jonest Ltd. (Alternate)
For anybody more familiar with the discography of the Monkees, you may be asking yourself "where is Headquarters?" And to be honest, there's just wasn't anything I had to change about that album. My version only differs from the original because the tracks "Big Band 6" and "Zilch" are removed from the track listing. Other than that, everything else is the same. And besides, since I'm not posting as often as I used to, I'd rather make a more noteworthy post instead of one with no real value. So anyways, let's move on!
After Headquarter's smash success in March of 1967, the group, now working more as a real band that plays their own music, continued work on their next album. The result, a psychedelic-tinged collection of tracks entitled Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd., was released on November 6th, 1967. Not surprisingly, the album made its way to the #1 spot, the last Monkees album to do so.
For my alternate version of this album, the spoken word track "Special Announcement" starts us off. The original version of this track ends with the sound of a dog barking in pain, but here, I removed that so that the track immediately segues into the first song of the album, "Salesman". From there, the album goes off the same way that the original version does, with "She Hangs Out", "The Door Into Summer", "Love is Only Sleeping", "Cuddly Toy", and "Words" following. Side A closes out with the fast-paced rocker "Goin' Down", of which was originally intended to appear on the album in the same spot.
Side B kicks off with "Daydream Believer", one of the most popular songs by the group. As this track was originally intended to serve as the B-Side to the aborted "Love is Only Sleeping" single, I decided to include it here as the opening track of the second side. The rest of the album remains pretty similar to the original track listing, with the only other change being the swapping of the order of the last two tracks. Here, the album closes out with the beautiful Mike Nesmith track "Don't Call on Me", definitely my favorite track off of this album. I just thought that it'd be a very lovely and melancholic end to the album.
Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd. is certainly one of the strongest Monkees albums to come out of the '60s. This would be the last #1-selling album by the Monkees, as next year's The Birds, the Bees & The Monkees would only reach #3, signaling the end of "Monkeemania" in the US. But I'll get to that later. Enjoy, and look out for more coming soon!
1. Special Announcement (Spoken word by Peter Tork)
2. Salesman (Craig Vincent Smith)
3. She Hangs Out (Jeff Barry)
4. The Door into Summer (Chip Douglas/Bill Martin)
5. Love is Only Sleeping (Barry Mann/Cynthia Weil)
6. Cuddly Toy (Harry Nilsson)
7. Words (Tommy Boyce/Bobby Hart)
8. Goin' Down (The Monkees/Diane Hildebrand)
1. Daydream Believer (John Stewart)
2. Hard to Believe (Davy Jones/Kim Capli/Eddie Brick/Charlie Rockett)
3. What Am I Doing Hangin' 'Round? (Michael Martin Murphey/Owen Castleman)
4. Peter Percival Patterson's Pet Pig Porky (Peter Tork)
5. Pleasant Valley Sunday (Gerry Goffin/Carole King)
6. Daily Nightly (Michael Nesmith)
7. Star Collector (Gerry Goffin/Carole King)
8. Don't Call on Me (Michael Nesmith/John London)